Staying Shiny

My life as a Uber-geek in a Bridal world

50 Books in 2012 :Book 1

I am an avid reader, so I've decided to set a goal for this year to read at least 50 books.  I am confident I will be able to achieve this goal and I plan to write a review for each book as I finish it.  So, without further adieu, here's book 1 for the year.



Title:  The Magician
Series: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel Book 2
Writer:  Michael Scott
Genre:  Young Adult Fiction - Fantasy

Synopsis:  Book 2 of this series find the twins, Sophie and Josh Newman, along with Nicholas Flamel and the immortal warrior Scathach in Paris where they attempt to teach Sophie fire magic while running from Dr. John Dee who has teamed up with the infamous Machiavelli.  They are aided in their quest by Joan of Arc and Comte de Saint-Germain.  Meanwhile, Pernelle Flamel finds the secrets Dee has hidden on Alcatraz while trying to escape.

Review:  This is a fun and somewhat campy series.  I quite enjoy the interesting take on historical figures that Scott has taken with this series.  The basic premise is that the twins, Sophie and Josh are the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy that will either save or doom the world.  While this is not anything new, the way Scott has chosen to integrate historical figures and various myths and dogmas makes this a unique take on an old idea.
   My favorite new character in this book has to be Joan of Arc.  Scott does an excellent take on her character showing her as a small and friendly woman who has developed a love of her annonimity.  I'm sure I would feel the same way if the last time I had been well known had resulted in me being burned at the stake.  She can also kick some serious ass.
   I also enjoyed how the seeds of doubt that Dee plants in Josh begin to work their way in the reader as well.  I know that Dee is most definitely bad, but I begin to wonder, much like Josh and Sophie, just what Flamel's true motives are.  What does he know that he's not sharing?  Was Awakening Sophie really the right call?
   My favorite character of the series has rapidly become Pernelle Flamel.  She is strong and smart.  I quite enjoyed how she used her wits in this to escape the Spinx, solve the mystery of what Dee is hiding on Alcatraz and fight the terrifying Morrigan.
   I find myself really enjoying this series.  If you have a child who loves fantasy and magic and maybe even has an interest in history, this is a great series to get them in to.  I love how there are so many characters that you can actually research and learn more about their lives.  It's a pretty good afternoon escape for adults too as it's an easy read and flows quite nicely.

I give this book a solid 4 out of 5 bookmarks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment