Staying Shiny

My life as a Uber-geek in a Bridal world

Now That I Have Officially Become A Cosplayer...

Other than some crazy Halloween costumes over the years and a few plays, I have never dressed up in costume for a public event.  Last weekend was my first foray into cosplay and I would be lying if I said that I was totally ok with that.  I was a bundle of nerves.  It's a little different going to a convention were there are hundreds of people who put in countless hours of work and tons of money creating the most amazing and accurate costumes I have ever seen.  I knew my costume had a few inaccuracies (the feathers were hackles instead of coques and I got the wrong wristbands) but I put a lot of time into it and I was pretty happy with the results.  That didn't stop me from being nervous.  J had to reassure me that I looked good on our way to the con because he could see I was ready to back out and go back to the room and just put on jeans and a t-shirt. As I'm sure you read in my previous post, things went better than I ever could have expected.

Here's the problem with that.  My first attempt at cosplay was so successful, I don't know quite how to top it.  I have about 308 days until the next con to figure this out.  My friends have been trying to give me ideas, but I haven't liked any of their suggestions so far.  I'm picky.  I want something that is a little more obscure, yet recognizable. (ie I want people to know what my costume is but I don't want to be one of 400 people dressed the same and be compared to some of those amazing cosplayers out there.)

This is where you come in dear reader.  I need help.  I have a couple of ideas that I'm bandy-ing around and I would like to know what you think.  One is a little bit more obscure (but much loved by it's fans) and the other is a bit of a draping nightmare, but more recognizable.  Here's my thoughts:

Currently in the lead:  Lulu from Final Fantasy X


I have found this one online fore sale, but I really like to make things myself.  I think I could do this one justice, I just have to figure out how to get the belt skirt to drape correctly.  I'm also playing with the idea of making the moogle able to move which is going to take some serious engineering.

Or:

Dawn by Joseph Micheal Linsner



I have always wanted to do this one.  I wanted to go to Dragon*con and enter the Dawn Look-a-like contest.  That, sadly, will never happen as they have cancelled the contest after 10+ successful years.  My biggest issue with this one is the armor.  I have researched various ways to make it, but I'm not confident enough to try yet.  Plus if I do this one, J will have to do death and that one is a bit of a nightmare with the skull face and goat horns.  If done properly, it would kick some serious ass. If not...well, I'd rather it not see the light of day of that's the case.

Any thoughts?  Both of these idea will take some major work so I basically need to start drafting right away.  Decisions, decisions.  How does a cosplayer decide?

0 comments:

Post a Comment