Staying Shiny

My life as a Uber-geek in a Bridal world

A Day I'll Never Forget.

Work has been stressful lately to say the least.  We have lost our head seamstress so I have had to step in and take care of the alterations full time now as well as try to make sure the floor runs smoothly.  The manager of our sister store has given her notice and we are losing another of our senior staff soon to maternity leave.  So with all that going on I have been quite stressed lately.  Two days ago we got an interesting phone call at work.  A gentleman called wanting to book an appointment for himself to look at gowns.  Although this isn't the first time we've had a guy shopping for gowns, this was a different case and unique unto itself.  He stressed that he is not gay and isn't getting married, he just likes to wear women's clothing.  I volunteered to take the appointment and we booked him to come in after the store closed to shop.  I will admit I was a little nervous.  For some reason I would have felt a lot better if he was gay.  Stupid I know but I was worried about being alone in the store with a guy after hours.  We arranged the schedule so that someone would be with me and my husband volunteered to come in and sit in the staff room in case there was any trouble.  We didn't need to worry.

"Bob" came in right as we closed up the store and was way more nervous than me.  He once again stated that he is not gay and that he was a little nervous because no one knows that he does this except for us and a sales girl at a bra specialty shop.  He wanted to buy a wedding gown for himself, not because he's getting married, but just because he enjoys wearing women's clothing and what's more feminine than a wedding gown.  We chatted for a bit and then I let him pick out some gowns.  We are full service so I was in the dressing room with him helping him put on gowns.  I have to admit it is always weird seeing a man in a wedding gown.  They aren't built for a man's body and look strange across the chest.  But after trying on a bunch and giving him some of the best service I'm sure he's ever had we found him the perfect gown!  It was great to help him feel special even if it was a little odd.  He was extremely grateful and wanted to know if it was ok to tip me.  That's the first time anyone has asked me that.  So "Bob", thanks for making the appointment comfortable for both of us and I hope the gown helps give you the feeling you're looking for.  It's always nice to bring a little joy into someone's life no matter the circumstance.  I hope one day you will feel comfortable enough to let other's know that wearing women's clothes on occasion is part of who you are.

0 comments:

Post a Comment