Staying Shiny

My life as a Uber-geek in a Bridal world

Calgary Comic Expo 2011

I'm home.  What a fantastic weekend we had!  The con was amazing.  I thought I'd share the weekend with you so you could come along for the ride.

Things started out bad.  We got the news Thursday the George A. Romero was forced to cancel his appearance due to injury.  You see he broke his arm and would be unable to sign any autographs so he decided to cancel.  While I understand the reasons I was a little choked that we had spent money on tickets to the private screening and now we weren't sure what was going to happen.  There was some quick work done on the organizers part and they brought in Linda Blair at short notice and billed a double feature of The Exorcist and Night of the Living Dead.  They also gave you the option of getting a full refund.  We decided to wait and decide with D and R on the way there to see if they wanted to go or get a refund.  We spent the evening Thursday getting our bags packed and triple checking that we didn't forget anything.

Thursday morning we did an extra check of inventory (and yet I still managed to forget my jacket) and hit the road at 11 a.m.  We got everything loaded in the car I asked D and R if they had their tickets.  Good thing I said something because they had forgotten them!  We made a quick detour back to their house and got on the road.  We made Calgary in good time and stopped off at the mall so I could buy some new eyelashes for my costume because I lost the ones I had.  I bought them months ago and put them someplace safe which of course I couldn't remember later.  I found some amazing ones and then we walked the mall for a little bit before going to our hotel to check in.  The hotel was quite nice and very close to the Con.  We probably could have walked there except that we were downtown and I wasn't comfortable with walking through some of the sketchy areas to get there.  We checked in and dropped our bags and headed off to day 1 of the Expo.  I was very pleased with the changes they had made this year.  The layout was better, the lineups for the panels had virtually disappeared because the venues was much larger.  The more popular panels were held in the Corral which can seat around 6000 so no one was turned away.  Once we got in the door we made a bolt for Artists Alley to find Linsner and Cary Nord.  And they weren't there...  We found their tables, but not them.  So we decided to do a little shopping and walk the floor.  While we were shopping an announcement came on that if you had tickets for the Romero screening you could exchange them for tickets to the Masquerade Ball instead.  I was pissed!  We would have done that in a heart beat if we had known before hand but we didn't bring outfits that would have worked for the Ball with us and we were 3 hours from home.  So now it's no Romero, no Linsner and no Masquerade.  This was not shaping up to be a good weekend.  We decided to do all our shopping on Friday because it was much quieter in the hall and the booths were fully stocked.  We came across and awesome t-shirt booth and I got a shirt that says "I'm with flanking bonus" and J got one that says "If you can read this, you just provoked and attack of opportunity".  D got a "Neville would have done it in four books"  I went to the autograph area and collected 2 more Cylons.  Kate Vernon (Ellen Tigh) was very sweet.  Micheal Hogan (The XO Saul Tigh) was fraking halarious!  J did some more shopping and we check for Linsner, Nord and Jeph Jacques one more time before we decided to leave.  We were all hungry so we decided to find a place to eat.  We decided to go to this little pub across the street from J's favorite gaming store in Calgary (The Sentry Box).  We shopped a bit there and then had a fantastic meal on the patio of the pub.  This was the point when I realized I had no jacket.  It got a bit chilly but I survived.  Then it was back to the hotel to try to get some rest before the biggest day of the con.

I was like a kid waiting for Christmas morning that night.  I was so tired but I couldn't sleep!  I knew I had to get up extra early to get in costume because there was only one bathroom and 4 of us that needed it.  I got up around 6 and decided to do down to the lobby at 6:30 to get a coffee from Starbucks.  I went back up to started getting ready and J, D and R went down for coffee about half hour after I did.  They come back up and tell me that they were in line behind Micheal Hogan!  Frak!  I can't believe I missed that!  So we all finished getting ready, took a couple of quick pictures and then headed out for the Con.  I was so nervous leaving the hotel because my costume was a bit revealing and people in the lobby where staring at me like crazy.  I almost lost me nerve and went back up to the room to change, but I decided that I would be ok once I got there and was around other geeks who would stare in a good way. I thought maybe a few people here and there would "get" my costume but I was overwhelmed with the response!

The finished product!

We arrived around 9 a.m. (advanced tickets holders got in at 9:30) and the line was huge!  It was much better organized than last year and it moved very quickly once the door opened.  In less than a minute walking through the doors people were already asking if they could take my picture.  I was shocked!  I couldn't believe how many Repo! fans there were.  Not only did people get what I was, they loved it!  This was the first person to ask to take a pic of me.  He was a real sweetie!

Photo Op while waiting in line with the cutest Ash ever.

Once we got inside we decided to walk the floor and check out other people's costumes.  We found out quickly that if you stopped walking or even slowed down for a moment you would get mobbed for pictures. We did each manage to find someone else there who was wearing the same costume as us and get a pic.  One of the convention organizers even ran up to me and awarded me a costume prize.

Found another Blind Mag!

Tron!  Let the games begin.

Galactica Crew

J's doppleganger was so excited to meet him.  Ah, the hero of Canton.

We went to the Battlestar Galactica panel at 11 with Kate Vernon and Micheal Hogan.  It was good but not as entertaining as last years panel.  I found it very hard to sit so I didn't want to do to many panels and there was a very annoying family in front of us that just let the squeaky shoed child run around the whole time.  People, they provided a daycare for this very reason!  After the panel we tried one more to to find Linsner only to find out his sign had been taken down and someone else took over his booth.  J did managed to find Cary Nord and get his Conan autographed and we finally tracked down Jeph Jacques and bought 2 copies of his book.  So many people were complimenting my costume J, D and R decided that they were going to register me for the costume contest.  I protested but they insisted.  We went to the booth but they told us they were full up on registration.  Shucks!  I guess I won't have to go onstage in front of several thousand people.  At 3:00 we went to the William Shatner panel.  Unfortunately it didn't get started until 3:30 or so due to the back up at Photo Ops.  He was funny as predicted and even managed to turn the stupid questions people asked into something else.  He did come across as a little arrogant at times, particularly when he basically dissed the InnerSpace boys who were moderating asking them what they were doing there.  His panel ran a little overtime which was good since he did start late, but he was a little put out when they said he had 10 more minutes.  After the panel we walked the floor some more, took more pics with people and chilled a bit before going back to watch the costume contest.  I must say, most of the entries in the contest where amazing! Some of the stand outs for me where Iron Man, Spawn, Master Chief, and Kneesocks.  There were so many amazing costumes there!  The major downside to the Costume contest was the sheer amount of Batman villains (I felt bad for them because the crowd got really tired of another Batman entry)and the fact that we were subject to almost 45 minutes of terrible improv while the judges deliberated.  I had heard that the improv troop The 404's were really good, but I (and the rest of the crowd) was less than impressed.  The costume contest ended after the expo was closed for the night so we headed back to the hotel to change and have a quick bite to eat before heading out to the private screening of The Exorcist.

The movie was screened in this really neat old theatre that used to be a garage but was converted to a movie theatre in the 1930's. They even served popcorn with real butter!  And for a reasonable price too.  Before Linda Blair came in they staff requested that all cell phones and video camera's be turned off or else she wouldn't come.  This may sound strange, but she explained her reason for this.  She felt that we had paid for a private show and therefore she wanted it to just be between her and those of us that paid and not show up on youtube for the world to see.  She shared some pretty interesting things with us that she doesn't often speak about in the more public venues.  The most interesting thing she shared was the story of how she was injured on the set of the film.  I will respect her wishes and keep most of her stories to myself but I did want to share this with you because it changed the way I viewed the film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThO60o6w7Tc

This scene contains a revolutionary camera shot which lead the way for steady cams as well as has the actual footage in which her back was broken.  There was a malfunction with the apparatus and the result was very real screams to "make it stop"  I choose to just link to the video instead of having it on here because I know a lot of people find this film very disturbing.  I did like that fact that Linda Blair made it clear that this is not a horror film, it's a theological thriller.  I was very glad to have had the chance to watch it with fresh eyes and to see the rare 35mm writer's cut of the film.  Unfortunately due to the late start of the film and the extended cut it was after midnight before they were even getting ready to load the second film so we decided to call it a night.

J and I decided to wear our costumes one more time since they were so popular.  D opted out since her costume didn't survive the day very well and it was extremely hot.  R decided not to because one of the joints in his elbow had frayed and he spent most of Saturday getting electrocuted whenever he moved his left arm.  D decided to bring her camera and follow me around taking pictures of people taking pictures of us.  We were curious how many times we got stopped for pics in a day so we took pictures every time someone else did.  She even got pictures of people who thought they were being sneaky and taking them from afar.  By the time the day was over she had taken over 200 shots.  It was much slower on Sunday so we figure there must be at least 500 out there from the day before.  We watched the zombies vs super heroes roller derby for a bit (cool) and then went to see the Pinky and the Brian vs the Animaniacs panel.  This was one of the highlights from the weekend.  I loved that they started out by reading a scene from The Princess Bride in some of their most popular voices.

This is the panel.  I know it's long but it's totally worth it.  We then went to the Jonathan Frakes panel.  He was very good and I enjoyed listening to it but it became clear that we were about conventioned out.  We did one last walk of the floor before changing out of costume, doing some last quick shopping and then hitting the road for home.  It was an amazing weekend and I can't wait until next year to do it again.  Now to come up with a costume to top this one....

Here's a few of my favorite shots from the weekend:












0 comments:

Post a Comment